Pictured Above: Ceramics students at RHS made poppies for installation at the SCHS Monument Memorial Day Weekend. | Riverhead High School photo
• Today will be partly sunny, with a high temperature near 78 degrees and a southwest wind 9 to 17 miles per hour. WE’re expecting showers and thunderstorms this evening, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 62. Skies willl clear on Thursday, with a high near 81. We’re expecting rain on Friday, mainly after 5 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 68.
• Supporters of the Shinnecock Nation rallied at Southampton Town Hall yesterday evening asking the town to purchase Sugarloaf Hill, a native burial ground where the town banned new construction last year, using the town’s Community Preservation Fund.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons, Shelter Island and North Fork will be holding three candidate debates for voters via Zoom, for village and town elections coming up in June. Read more.
• Art students at Riverhead High School will install more than 200 ceramic poppies at the World War I Monument garden on the grounds of the Suffolk County Historical Society tomorrow, in honor of Memorial Day. This art installation was coordinated by Riverhead art teachers Debbie Cantalupo and Selina Pagliarulo. The handcrafted poppies were created through the school’s Creative Crafts and Ceramic classes.
• The Good Ground Farmers Market opens for the season in Hampton Bays tomorrow, and is held rain or shine at the Hampton Bays Plaza parking lot, 190 West Montauk Highway, on Thursdays, 2 – 7 pm through Oct. 7. Here are more details.
• Suffolk County reported 48 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, May 24, with 0.8 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 108 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 25 of them in ICU. The county reported two new Covid deaths, bringing the death toll here to 3,390 people.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:14 a.m., 10:34 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:22 a.m., 9:42 p.m.
Greenport: 10:51 a.m., 11:11 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:55 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:46 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:29 a.m., 9:53 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:38 a.m., 8:02 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:07 a.m., 11:28 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:15 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
Greenport: 11:44 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:10 a.m., 12:48 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:39 a.m.
New Suffolk: 12:33 a.m., 1:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:40 a.m., 1:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:22 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:31 a.m., 8:54 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.