Pictured Above: Springtime Sentinel, New Suffolk
• It will be partly sunny today, with a high near 56 degrees and an east wind around 10 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent of overnight showers, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 49. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers Friday, mainly after 7 a.m., with cloudy skies and a high near 64. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 65.
• As more contaminants are becoming regulated by New York State, the Suffolk County Water Authority is ramping up the methods it uses to filter the groundwater, some of which is proving to be a very costly endeavor that will soon be evident on customers’ water bills. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Visiting hours are set for this afternoon from 2 to 4 p.m. and this evening from 7 to 9 p.m. for Arthur Tillman, 79, a longtime civic leader with the Mattituck Lions Club, the Mattituck VFW and the Southold Town Democratic Committee, at DeFriest-Grattan Funeral Home in Mattituck. The funeral services will be held on Friday morning at 10 a.m. at Advent Lutheran Church on Legion Avenue in Mattituck.
• The Southampton Town Board meets in its role as the Hampton Bays Water Commissioners this morning at 10 a.m., followed by a 10:30 a.m. work session in which they’re expected to review council members’ projects and the draft agenda for their May 14 meeting. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will hear annual reports from the town’s Anti-Bias Task Force and Recreation Advisory Committee at their 10:30 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Arts Center presents “Racontours,” an evening of stories told by local people ranging from Minerva Perez to Michael Holman to Tom Dunn and Gianna Volpe this evening at 7 p.m. More details are online here.
• On Saturday, May 11 at 6:30 p.m., the Riverhead Moose Lodge will host a musical tribute to veterans in Suffolk County, called Rock ‘n Blues for the Vets. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:25 a.m., 2:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:33 a.m., 1:17 p.m.
Greenport: 2:02 a.m., 2:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:57 a.m., 3:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:57 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:24 a.m., 4:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:31 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:26 a.m., 1:20 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:29 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:20 a.m., 3:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:28 a.m., 2:14 p.m.
Greenport: 2:57 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:52 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:52 a.m., 3:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:19 a.m., 5:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:26 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:25 a.m., 2:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:28 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.