Pictured Above: At the starting mark, Wednesday, New Suffolk.
• We’re expecting rain and possibly a thunderstorm today, with a high temperature near 63 degrees and an east wind 16 to 21 miles per hour, decreasing to 8 to 13 mph in the afternoon. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers this evening, mainly before 8 p.m., with skies gradually clearing and a low around 52. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 72, and Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 76.
• Residents of Wainscott and Sierra Club activists were the most vocal of attendees at public hearings June 11 on the cable connection for the South Fork Wind Farm, a 15-turbine project proposed 35 miles off the coast of Montauk. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss an invasive species awareness program and the Bridgehampton/Sagaponack Erosion Control District monitoring program at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. The full agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will hear an annual report from the town’s Wildlife Management program, an update on the town’s Master Plan, code revisions and a monthly safety report at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. The full agenda is online here.
• Tonight is Hulling Night, the community volunteer night that opens the Mattituck Strawberry Festival. Hulling begins at 5 p.m., the carnival opens at 6:30 p.m. and there will be a ‘lite’ fireworks show at 9:15 p.m., weather permitting. More details about the festival, which continues through Sunday, are online here.
• This month’s meeting of the Plastic Reduction and Elimination Project of the North Fork, a joint venture of North Fork Audubon and the North Fork Environmental Council, will be held this evening, June 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Community Center. All are welcome to attend.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:18 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:26 a.m., 6:52 p.m.
Greenport: 7:55 a.m., 8:21 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:49 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:50 a.m., 8:16 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:17 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:24 a.m., 9:50 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:15 a.m., 6:55 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:24 a.m., 5:04 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:10 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:18 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Greenport: 8:47 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:45 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:42 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:09 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:16 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:14 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:23 a.m., 5:56 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.