• Today will be sunny, with a high near 73 degrees and a west wind 14 to 17 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 51. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 76 and Sunday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 77 and a 50 percent chance of afternoon showers.
• The Riverhead Town Board is inviting the public tomorrow, June 15 at 1 p.m. to attend the honorary renaming of South Jamesport Avenue in honor of NYPD Detective Brian Simonsen, a Jamesport native who lost his life in the line of duty on February 12. The dedication ceremony will be held at the corner of Main Road and South Jamesport Avenue on the lawn of the George Young Community Center.
• The New York State Assembly has passed the Driver’s License Access and Privacy Act, which would allow undocumented New Yorkers to apply
for a standard state driver’s license. Advocates say this legislation, known as
the Green Light bill, would improve road safety, raise revenue and boost the
economy. The New York State Senate has until June 19 to vote on the bill in this legislative session.
• Sampling performed by SUNY Stony Brook has confirmed the presence of a new cyanobacteria bloom, more commonly known as blue–green algae, in Mill Pond in Southampton, Maratooka Lake in Mattituck, and Wainscott Pond in East Hampton. In addition, cyanobacteria blooms are still present in Laurel Lake in Laurel. Due to these findings, health officials ask residents not to use or swim or wade in these waters and to keep their pets and children away from the areas.
• Our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, has some great advice this month for snazzing up your garden with container plantings.
• North Fork Audubon presents a discussion on Eastern Bluebirds of Long Island this evening at 7:30 p.m. at the Peconic Community Center. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:10 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:18 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Greenport: 8:47 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:45 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:42 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:09 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:16 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:14 a.m., 7:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:23 a.m., 5:56 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:58 a.m., 9:16 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:06 a.m., 8:24 p.m.
Greenport: 9:35 a.m., 9:53 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:38 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:30 a.m., 9:48 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:57 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:04 a.m., 11:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:09 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:18 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.