• We’re expecting mostly cloudy skies today, with showers and thunderstorms likely before 10 a.m. and a high near 76. The wind will be out of the northwest at 11 to 17 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 54. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 79, and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 82.
• The North Fork Environmental Council will hold its next ‘NFEC Now’ speaker series on “Coastal Resilience and Living Shorelines” this evening at the Peconic Lane Community Center at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum’s new exhibit, “Mailing Whaling,” featuring roughly 100 20th century whaling-themed stamps and postcards from around the world, opens this evening from 6 to 8 p.m. More details are online here.
• If you can’t get enough of whaling, the Southold Historical Society will host two seafaring events at the Horton Point Lighthouse this month, including an opening reception for an exhibition titled “Tale of the Whale” on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. and a presentation of Long Island songs of the sea by chantey aficionado Stephen Sanfilippo on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• Guild Hall in East Hampton hosts The Kronos Quartet for a groundbreaking “live documentary” this evening at 8 p.m. More details are online here.
• Pianist Steven Blier presents “Manning the Canon: Songs of Gay Life” at Poquatuck Hall in Orient Saturday evening at 8 p.m. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:09 a.m., 1:44 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:17 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
Greenport: 1:46 a.m., 2:21 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:34 a.m., 3:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:41 a.m., 2:16 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:08 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:15 a.m., 3:50 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:15 a.m., 12:54 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:03 a.m., 11:09 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:56 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:04 a.m., 1:42 p.m.
Greenport: 2:33 a.m., 3:11 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:19 a.m., 3:52 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:28 a.m., 3:06 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:55 a.m., 4:33 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:02 a.m., 4:40 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:50 a.m., 11:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.