This Morning’s Bulletin — 6.27.22
• We’re expecting a chance of showers and thunderstorms this morning, becoming likely afternoon, with the possibility for some storms to bring heavy rain. The high temperature will be near 75 degrees, with a southwest wind 14 to 16 miles per hour and new rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible. Showers will continue this evening until around midnight, with skies clearing overnight and a low around 57. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 78 and a north wind around 7 miles per hour. Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 80.
• The much-anticipated U.S. Supreme Court decision Friday overturning the nearly 50-year-old Roe vs. Wade decision upholding a woman’s right to choose whether to have an abortion hit many regional lawmakers and advocates for women’s rights here with a thud. Read More.
• In the wake of the decision, numerous local groups are holding a Rally for Women’s Rights this evening at 5:30 p.m. at the Suffolk County Supreme Court on Griffing Avenue in Riverhead. Local elected leaders will speak about protecting women’s rights.
• Suffolk County reported 495 new cases of Covid-19 on Thursday, June 23, with 6.3 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 134 people hospitalized with the virus, with 46 percent of them hospitalized due to Covid and seven of them in ICU. The county reported two new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 4,475 people since March of 2020.
• This week on Behind The Headlines on WLIW-FM, Beach editor Beth Young joined a panel discussing gun control and the Supreme Court decision on concealed carry licenses, Riverhead Town’s proposed regulations on gun stores and shooting ranges, the sale of the Montauk Airport, and affordable housing. Listen in!
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:33 a.m., 9:48 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:41 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
Greenport: 10:10 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:13 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:05 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:32 a.m., 11:47 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:39 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:42 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:51 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:16 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:24 a.m., 9:38 p.m.
Greenport: 10:53 a.m., 11:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:55 a.m., 11:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:48 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:26 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:35 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.