• Today is expected to be cloudy, with a high near 65 degrees and an east wind around 15 miles per hour. Tonight, there’s a 30 percent chance of showers after midnight, wiht a low around 55 degrees. Tomorrow, we’re looking at a 30 percent chance of showers, with a high near 69 degrees. The weekend is looking up: Saturday is expected to be partly sunny, with a high near 76 degrees and Sunday is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high near 73 degrees.
• East Hampton Town announced yesterday afternoon that the federal judge expected to issue a decision on a temporary restraining order against the town’s new airport regulations will be making a decision by Friday, June 26, not June 8 as originally anticipated. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Few issues have recently riled up the citizenry of Southold as much as internet-based rental services, but unlike with many social issues in this bucolic town, no side of the issue seems to have a clear mandate for their side of the issue. Southold Town held its first public hearing on its first draft of a new law to regulate short-term rentals Tuesday afternoon, but isn’t ready to change the existing laws just yet. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The state legislative session almost over, and the New York League of Conservation Voters is urging the state senate to adopt the the Young Farmers Bill, which would develop an inventory of state-owned land viable for farming and make that land available for new farmers, protecting our food supply, giving young farmers a boost and preserving open spaces. The bill has already passed the state assembly unanimously. Their petition asking the state senate to pass the bill is online here.
• East End Arts in Riverhead is seeking submissions for its next juried show, “Novel Materials/New Techniques,” which opens June 19. This show will feature artwork that was either created with nontraditional elements or novel materials, and/or where the artist uses a unique process or new technique. Original works in all media may be submitted. Visual art entry drop-off dates are Thursday, June 11 through Saturday, June 13 at the East End Arts Gallery. More information is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss Wading River Beach parking, the town skate park and the sale listing of the town’s East Lawn building at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.