This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.1.15

Road K, HB
Road K, HB

Good Morning!

• The good news in the forecast is that the Fourth of July weekend looks promising at this point. But we’ve got to get through this little rough patch first. We’ve just come off a severe thunderstorm as of 6:30 a.m., but there’s still a flood advisory in effect until 8:30 a.m., as the roads drain from the more than an inch of rain we were drenched with earlier this morning.

• There’s 70 percent chance of showers today, mainly before noon, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 78 degrees and a southwest wind 6 to 9 miles per hour. Tonight, there’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8 p.m., but otherwise it will be partly cloudy, with a low around 63. Tomorrow, there’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, primarily in the afternoon, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 78 degrees. Friday through Sunday are expected to be partly sunny, with highs around 80 degrees.

• Southold Town will soon consider a prohibition on running and bicycling events from May 1 to October 1, after several years in which the town has been inundated with requests for large-scale sporting events on town roads. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

Peconic Landing Sculpture
Experiencing with all senses at the Peconic Landing sculpture garden. | Peconic Landing courtesy photo

• Peconic Landing in Greenport has launched new community outreach effort, “Art For Lunch,” through October. Beginning today, Peconic Landing is inviting the public to visit its sculpture garden during lunch hours, Monday through Thursday, all summer long. Guests are encouraged to pack a picnic. A new welcome kiosk at the garden contains copies of a map of the grounds. The tour is free and open to the public Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

New research suggests that nature walks are good for your brain. But you already knew that. Our East End hike listings for the month of July are online here.

• Here’s the Long Island Sound’s new water quality report card. The waters off the North Fork get an A! The rest of it’s not so nice.

• Diamondback terrapin turtles, which have had a rough spring on the East End, are on the move searching for mates and places to lay their eggs. Keep an eye out for them trying to cross the conjested streets over the holiday weekend. Do not take them home or to a safer place, just move them to the side where they were headed.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: