This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.23.18
• We’re expecting showers and possibly a thunderstorm today, with a steady temperature around 78 degrees and a south wind around 11 miles per hour. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch are possible. Rain will taper off overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 72. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers Tuesday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 81. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 78 and a 30 percent chance of showers.
• The East Hampton Town Board voted 3-2 Thursday night to grant easements for Deepwater Wind to land a cable from its proposed South Fork Wind Farm at Beach Lane in Wainscott. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Does the preponderance of boaters in your neighborhood enjoying their summer vacation leave you green with envy? Our Between the Lines columnist, Tim Kelly, feels your pain. Read his July column online here.
• The East Hampton Town Trustees have found a blue-green algae bloom, which can be toxic, in the southwest corner of Georgica Pond, and have closed the pond to crabbing and shellfishing until further notice. They’re advising residents to not swim or wade in the water and to keep their pets and children away from the pond.
• Southampton Town has been cracking down on the proliferation of illegal lawn advertising signs in recent weeks, removing about 100 signs from along the town’s roadways. The town is warning people who place the signs along roadways that they could be charged with littering, road obstruction, private use of a right of way and prohibited signs under the town code. No word yet on whether this will also apply to political signs going forward.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:33 a.m., 7:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:41 a.m., 7 p.m.
Greenport: 8:10 a.m., 8:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:05 a.m., 8:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:32 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:39 a.m., 9:58 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:23 a.m., 6:54 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:32 a.m., 5:03 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:19 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:27 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Greenport: 8:56 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:51 a.m., 10:06 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:51 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:18 a.m., 10:35 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:25 a.m., 10:42 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:18 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:27 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.