• We’re under a heat advisory from 10 a.m. today through 8 p.m. tomorrow. This is serious: Today will be sunny, with a high near 94 degrees but heat index values as high as 98, with a west wind 7 to 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 76. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 90 but a heat index as high as 97, with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 86.
• Suffolk County reported 61 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending July 26, about average for recent weeks, with 1.3 percent of people tested coming back positive. Forty-one people are hospitalized due to the virus, no change from the prior day, with 10 patients in ICU, a decrease of three. There were no new fatalities reported Sunday and the county’s death toll stands at 1,996 people.
• Tomorrow is the date of the revote on the Riverhead Central School District’s $147.1 million school budget, which failed by 52.7 percent in an all-mail in vote June 9. The district plans to slash athletics, music and elective programming if the budget doesn’t pass tomorrow. Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Here’s our full story.
• Shelter Island students are seeking to change the mascot of the Shelter Island School District, an image of a plains Indian in a war bonnet. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Today’s the last day to sign up to receive our August monthly print edition through the U.S. Mail. You’ll read many of our stories in print before you find them here, and our print edition supports much of the work we do. Thank you!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:40 a.m., 4:23 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:48 a.m., 3:31 p.m.
Greenport: 4:17 a.m., 5 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:15 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:12 a.m., 4:55 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:39 a.m., 6:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:46 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:46 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:55 a.m., 1:39 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:45 a.m., 5:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:53 a.m., 4:33 p.m.
Greenport: 5:22 a.m., 6:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:17 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:17 a.m., 5:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:44 a.m., 7:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:51 a.m., 7:31 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:44 a.m., 4:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:53 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.