This Morning’s Bulletin — 8.11.21
• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 86 degrees and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m., with heat index values as high as 95 degrees and a southwest wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 71 and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 90, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 89.
• East End Congressman Lee Zeldin, the presumptive Republican nominee to run for governor of New York next fall, pounced on the news of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s resignation Tuesday, wasting no time lambasting Lt. Governor Kathy Hochul, who will fill Mr. Cuomo’s shoes for the remainder of his term when the governor formally steps down in two weeks. Meanwhile, the East End’s state lawmakers sounded a more conciliatory tone toward Ms. Hochul. Read More.
• The Amagansett American Legion at 15 Montauk Highway in Amagansett will host a New York Blood Center blood drive today, sponsored by the East Hampton Lions Club, from 11:45 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. Appointments are recommended, available online here.
• Suffolk County reported 259 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, Aug. 9, with 4.7 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 111 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 19 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality, bringing the death toll here to 3,419 people.
• Southold’s Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner presents a free concert with Gene Casey & The Lone Sharks at the corner of Route 25 and Youngs Ave. in Southold this evening at 7:30 p.m. The rain location is Southold’s First Presbyterian Church.
• Mean Machine plays a free concert at Good Ground Park, 9A Squiretown Road in Hampton Bays, this evening at 7 p.m.
• Guild Hall in East Hampton plays host tomorrow evening to two performances of “Jazz for the Center “to benefit the Bridgehampton Child Care & Recreational Center. The two outdoor concerts, at 5 and 7 p.m., feature Evan Sherman, Cyrus Chestnut, and Dezron Douglas. Tickets are $100. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:12 a.m., 12:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:53 a.m.
Greenport: 12:49 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:42 a.m., 2:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:44 a.m., 1:17 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:11 a.m., 2:44 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:18 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:48 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:57 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:55 a.m., 1:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:03 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
Greenport: 1:32 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:27 a.m., 2:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:27 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:54 a.m., 3:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:01 a.m., 3:35 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:44 a.m., 10:50 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.