• We’re expecting showers and thunderstorms today, with gusty south winds and heavy rain and a high near 77 degrees. Showers and thunderstorms are expected to continue overnight, with a low around 72. Skies will clear throughout the day Saturday, with a high near 85. Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 84.
• Not too many people know too much about Fishers Island, and the residents of this island in the stream of the glacial deposits that also dropped Long Island on the map would probably like to keep it that way. But every August, a boatload of Southold Town employees makes its way to this far outpost that shares more with Connecticut than with our shores, to conduct the year’s government-related business. Read our account of this year’s visit online here.
• The East Marion Community Association will host Robert Harper, Southold Historic Preservation Commissioner, for a talk about East Marion’s historic houses as part of their new “Houstories” series this Saturday, Aug. 19 at 10 a.m. at the East Marion Firehouse. More details are online here.
• The 85th Annual Springs Fishermen’s Fair is tomorrow, Aug. 19 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Ashawagh Hall. More details are online here.
• Ellen’s Run, which raises money and awareness for breast cancer treatment, will be held Sunday, Aug. 20 at 9 a.m. at Southampton Hospital. More details are online here.
• The League of Women Voters of the Hamptons is planning a special rally recreating a 1913 East Hampton suffrage rally next Thursday, Aug. 24, in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of women receiving the vote in New York State. All are welcome to attend, and commemorative “Votes for Women” sashes are available for sale for $10 each. For more information, contact Arlene Hinkemeyer at email@example.com.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our events calendar, online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two weeks are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:17 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:25 a.m., 6:56 p.m.
Greenport: 7:54 a.m., 8:25 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:51 a.m., 9:14 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:49 a.m., 8:20 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:16 a.m., 9:47 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:23 a.m., 9:54 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:26 a.m., 5:02 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:11 a.m., 8:40 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:19 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Greenport: 8:48 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:50 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:43 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:10 a.m., 10:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:17 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:39 a.m., 6:02 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.