• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high temperature near 84 degrees and a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m., with a west wind around 7 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 64. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 80 and Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 80.
• New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Monday that gyms can open as soon as August 24 at 33 percent capacity with mandatory mask wearing and other strict health measures. HVAC systems must meet guidelines and localities must inspect every gym before it opens or within two weeks of opening. Here are more details.
• Progressive East End Reformers (PEER) meets via Zoom with Democratic Congressional Candidate Nancy Goroff this evening at 6:30 p.m. to discuss her thoughts on running for the First Congressional District seat held by Congressman Lee Zeldin. You can register to join in online here.
• We’re bidding our Between the Lines columnist, Tim Kelly, adieu this month as he journeys northward toward the next phase in his life. In his last column, he reflects on his family’s exodus from Washington, D.C.
• The Riverhead Town Board meets this afternoon at 2 p.m. They’re slated to set a public hearing for Sept. 1 on a proposed 12-month moratorium on solar farms. Here’s the full agenda and the meeting can be viewed online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss hurricane preparedness and an electric leaf blower legislation at its 11 a.m. teleconference work session this morning. The agenda is here and the meeting can be accessed online here.
• Southampton Town is in the midst of a series of virtual public forums designed to get community input on how best to reshape the face of housing in an area that is currently plagued by a crisis in affordability. The next session, focusing on Hampton Bays, is this evening at 7 p.m. Here’s some more information about the project.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:53 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:53 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
Greenport: 10:30 a.m., 10:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:31 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:25 a.m., 10:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:52 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:59 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:07 a.m., 9:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:16 a.m., 7:27 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:38 a.m., 10:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:38 a.m., 10:57 p.m.
Greenport: 11:15 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:10 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:10 a.m., 12:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:17 a.m., 12:44 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:53 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:02 a.m., 8:14 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.