Good Morning!

• It will be mostly cloudy today, with a high near 82 degrees and a south wind 6 to 9 miles per hour. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, with the potential for heavy rainfall and a low around 72. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers Thursday, with a high near 83. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 84 and a 30 percent chance of showers after 2 p.m.

• A bucolic summer on the North Fork was shaken to the core by a rapid series of deaths due to cocaine laced with the powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl in mid-August, bringing home a national crisis that is only growing, and also highlighting the need for harm reduction practices among local drug users. Read More.

• The federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management has completed its environmental review of the proposed South Fork Wind Farm, saying negative impacts to commercial and recreational fishing would be “major” and there would be “minor to moderate” beneficial impacts in terms of jobs and investment in the local economy. Read More.

Suffolk County reported 280 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, Aug. 16, with 5 percent of people tested testing positive. There were four new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,430 people. There were 142 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 27 of them in ICU.

• Southold’s Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner continues this evening with a concert of traditional American music by Larry Moser & Fiddlers Green, at the corner of Route 25 and Youngs Ave. in Southold at 7:30 p.m. The rain location is Southold’s First Presbyterian Church.

• The Mudflats perform a free concert, also of traditional American music, on the Old Point Schoolhouse Lawn at the Oysterponds Historical Society, 1555 Village Lane in Orient this evening at 6 p.m. This concert was rescheduled from Aug. 4 due to inclement weather.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

Aug. 18
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:46 a.m., 7:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:54 a.m., 6:25 p.m.
Greenport: 7:23 a.m., 7:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:16 a.m., 8:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:18 a.m., 7:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:45 a.m., 9:16 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:52 a.m., 9:23 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:45 a.m., 6:20 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet:3:54 a.m., 4:29 p.m.

Aug. 19
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:44 a.m., 8:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:52 a.m., 7:20 p.m.
Greenport: 8:21 a.m., 8:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:18 a.m., 9:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:16 a.m., 8:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:43 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:50 a.m., 10:18 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:53 a.m., 7:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:02 a.m., 5:31 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: