• We’re expecting a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this afternoon, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 84 degrees and a southwest wind 11 to 14 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 62. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 80, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 81.
• W.A.V.E., Women Against Violence Everyday, was started five and a half years ago by Shinnecock tribal member Rebecca Genia to draw attention to the violence that has been denied, ignored, and underreported in her community, but also to do something tangible to change the internal and external landscape of violence against indigenous women everywhere. Beacon correspondent Kara Westerman recently talked with Ms. Genia about the organization, and the prayer fire she began several years ago. Read her story online here.
• In Gardenwise columnist Susan Tito’s garden, there’s a sucker born every minute this time of year. Here are some of her tips for keeping suckers from getting out of hand.
• The third public meeting on the Transportation Chapter of Southold Town’s Comprehensive Plan Update will be held this evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Community Center. More details are online here.
• The Riverhead Cardboard Boat Race has been rescheduled for this Sunday, Aug. 26, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.! You still have time to build yourself a cardboard boat. Here are some of our tips from last year’s race.
• The Ecological Culture Initiative in Hampton Bays will hold a Farmers’ Market Lunch at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church this Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $30 and benefit both St. Mary’s food pantry and ECI’s work bringing a farmer’s market to Hampton Bays. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:56 a.m., 8:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:04 a.m., 7:23 p.m.
Greenport: 8:33 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:22 a.m., 9:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:28 a.m., 8:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:55 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:02 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:51 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5 a.m., 5:23 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:39 a.m., 8:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:47 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
Greenport: 9:16 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:09 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:11 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:38 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:45 a.m., 11:03 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:43 a.m., 8:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:52 a.m., 6:10 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.