• We’re expecting sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 87 degrees and a west wind around 7 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 68. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 88, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 87.
• Former Suffolk County Election Commissioner and current Chief of Staff to the County Legislature Nick LaLota will be the Republican candidate this November for the East End’s congressional seat currently held by Lee Zeldin. LaLota, who received 47.03 percent of the vote in yesterday’s primary, beat out Michelle Bond, who received 27.71 percent of the vote, and Anthony Figliola, who received 24.98 percent of the vote. Mr. LaLota will face off against Suffolk County Legislator Bridget Fleming in this fall’s election.
• Drawdown East End is looking for everyone’s help in completing carbon cycle by turning their food waste into compost, which can have a big impact on reversing climate change. Read more in this month’s Climate Local Now.
• The Town of Southold is accepting resumes for the Water Conservation Committee. Members will study and make recommendations concerning water use and wastewater treatment in our town. Here’s more info.
• The North Fork Environmental Council will hold its second-to-last “Kayak What’s Left” event this Saturday, Aug. 27 at Orient Beach State Park at 8 a.m., meeting at the Eagle’s Neck Paddling booth in the park. The trip, which takes about two hours, costs $45 per person if you are renting a kayak, or $25 if you bring your own. Here’s more info.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:47 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:55 a.m., 8:16 p.m.
Greenport: 9:24 a.m., 9:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:17 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:19 a.m., 9:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:46 a.m., 11:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:53 a.m., 11:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:53 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:02 a.m., 6:14 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:28 a.m., 9:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:36 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
Greenport: 10:05 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:59 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:27 a.m., 11:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:34 a.m., 11:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:37 a.m., 8:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:46 a.m., 6:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.