• Today is day one of the Sag Harbor Fire Department’s annual carnival, tonight through August 9 beginning at 5 p.m. This beachfront carnival at Havens Beach on Bay Street includes a fireworks show Fri., Aug. 8. Call 631.725.0252 for more information.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss potential community-wide discounts in the National Flood Insurance Program, a prospective donation of land to the town for workforce housing and the town’s proposed formula store code at its 10 a.m. work session today. The full agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will hold several public hearings at its 2 p.m. meeting today, including one on proposed law that would allow commercial solar energy production in industrial zones and one that would regulate clothing drop boxes — ensuring that only drop boxes placed by charity organizations dot the streets of Riverhead.
• Today is the last day to register for a free demonstration in Montauk on Saturday of the artistic mounting of seaweed by Dr. Larry B. Liddle, who has devoted years to studying, collecting and mounting seaweed, at the headquarters of Concerned Citizens of Montauk on South Elmwood Avenue. The project will begin at 11 a.m. on Aug. 9. To register, call 631.238.5720.
• The East Hampton Litter Committee is looking for feedback on the use and reuse of plastic bags in the community, as part of a proposed regional ban on single-use plastic bags. They have created a survey online here asking residents to weigh in on the issue.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.