This Morning’s Bulletin — 8.5.15

Shelter Island storm tree down
Shelter Island resident Jeanne Merkel had been planning to sleep in a tent in her backyard Monday night. She’s glad she didn’t. |  courtesy Jeanne Merkel

Good Morning!

PSEG Outage Map 6 a.m. Wednesday
PSEG’s Outage Map as of 6 a.m. Wednesday. Pink triangles are where 51 to 500 customers are without power, blue triangles are where 5 to 50 customers are without power and green triangles are where fewer than five customers are without power. The circles are areas with multiple outages.

• PSEG-Long Island has not yet restored power to all of the East End after the fast-moving thunderstorm that wreaked havoc on the East End in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. Crews from PSE&G in New Jersey and Con Edison have been called to Long Island to deal with the crisis. As of 6 a.m. Wednesday, PSEG-Long Island had restored power to more than 60,000 customers, but 14,090 customers remained without power. The Riverhead and Coram PSEG-Long Island customer service offices are providing water, ice and charging stations for people without power. Both offices will be open today from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

• The storm also brought down a tree over the trail at Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge in Noyac, where refuge trails will be closed until further notice.

• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. today, but otherwise it’s expected to be sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and calm winds. There’s also a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening. Tomorrow is expected to be sunny, with a high near 81 degrees. Friday, we’re expecting a 60 percent chance of showers and a high near 75 degrees. There’s a 40 percent chance of rain beforem 1 p.m. Saturday, after which it’s expected to be mostly cloudy, with a high near 80 degrees. Sunday is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high near 83 degrees.

• A controversial multi-million dollar proposal by the Village of Quogue to dredge sand from the ocean bottom and place it along the entire 2.7-mile length of the village’s oceanfront will be up for public hearing next Monday evening. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• McKay Lake in Calverton, aka Grumman Pond, just south of the former Grumman plant on Grumman Boulevard, is the latest in a large number of lakes on the East End suffering from severe blue-green algae blooms. The Suffolk County Health Department is asking residents to avoid contact with the water in this pond, which is a popular spot with birdwatchers.

• Emma Rose Elliston Park on Big Fresh Pond in North Sea was closed yesterday to bathing by the Suffolk County Health Department and will be closed until further notice, due to high bacteria levels in the pond. According to Suffolk County Commissioner of Health Dr. James Tomarken, bathing in water contaminated with bacteria can result in gastrointestinal illness, as well as infections of the eyes, ears, nose, and throat.

• Bay Street Theatre’s new production of “Grey Gardens” is in previews this week. The play tells the story of Big Edie and Little Edie Bouvier Beale, the eccentric aunt and cousin of Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis, based on the 1975 documentary by Albert and David Maysles, which is celebrating its 40th anniversary in 2015. More information and tickets are available online here. [$59-$85]

• The SurfRider Foundation hosts their annual benefit “Surf Movie Night XIII” at Guild Hall in East Hampton tonight at 7 p.m. They’ll be showing “The Fisherman’s Son,” directed by Chris Malloy, the story of young boy in Punta de Lobos, Chile, who receives the gift of a broken surfboard from a visiting surfer. Proceeds from the evening benefit the Surfrider Foundation Eastern Long Island Chapter’s Blue Water Task Force water quality-monitoring program. [$20]

• The AdLib Steel Orchestra performs a free concert at Southampton’s Agawam Park tonight at 6:30 p.m., Martha Trachtenberg and Tom Griffith perform a free concert of original folk music at Southold’s Silversmith’s Corner tonight at 7:30 p.m. and Amagansett Square hosts a free outdoor screening of “Back to the Future” tonight at sundown. [Free]

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.


Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: