• Today will be sunny, with a high near 82 degrees and a north wind around 6 miles per hour, becoming southwest in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 59. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 81 and Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 79.
• Just weeks after Congressman Lee Zeldin’s bill to preserve Plum Island passed the House of Representatives for the second time, U.S. Senators have finally taken up the cause in their branch of Congress. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• North Forkers know what being the new Brooklyn means: traffic and a plague of hipsters upon our land. Let’s save that topic for another time, however, and concentrate on the good news: Farming. Food. Restaurants, lots of new restaurants. A bunch of them, in fact, all in Greenport, with three headed by big-deal chefs from Manhattan. Read more in our special report from our Culture Editor, William Sertl, online here.
• Today is Southold Town’s annual town board meeting on Fishers Island. Topics up for discussion often range from DMV and postal issues on the island to coyotes from the mainland terrorizing house pests. We’ll have more details later this week.
• Photographer and science writer Erica Cirino will give a talk on her trip through the Pacific Ocean in search of plastics at the Cutchogue-New Suffolk Library tonight at 6:30 p.m. More details on her work are online here.
• NASA Solar System Ambassador William Taylor gives a special talk on next week’s Great American Solar Eclipse tomorrow night, Aug. 10 at 6:30 p.m. at Sag Harbor’s John Jermain Memorial Library. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:55 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:03 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Greenport: 12:01 a.m., 12:32 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:51 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:27 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:23 a.m., 1:54 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:30 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:58 a.m., 9:10 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:04 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:43 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
Greenport: 12:41 a.m., 1:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:31 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:36 a.m., 1:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:03 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:10 a.m., 2:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:37 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.