• Today will be sunny, with a high near 68 degrees and a northwest wind 13 to 17 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 49. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 69, and a northeast wind 6 to 8 miles per hour, becoming southeast in the afternoon. There’s a 70 percent chance of showers Sunday, mainly before noon, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 73. Labor Day may prove to be the best beach day of the weekend, with sunny skies and a high near 77.
• The New York State Department of Health informed Suffolk County health officials Thursday that two more mosquito samples collected Aug. 22 in Manorville have tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus. This news follows the August 24 report of a EEE- positive mosquito sample collected in Manorville on August 16. More details are online here.
• Our Eat Local columnist, Linda Slezak, has some good suggestions for cooking with raspberries and kids in her August column, which is online here.
• Poet Tom Mitchell brings us a beautiful and timely work, “Harvest,” from his collection “The Way Summer Ends,” which is our poetry selection for this month. Read his poem online here, and please submit your own poetry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If you’re still stumped over what to do with your Labor Day weekend, browse our events calendar, online here.
• The Morning Bulletin is taking Labor Day off. Have a safe and happy holiday weekend, stay safe out on the roads, and remember to watch out for kids returning to school during your Tuesday morning commute.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:12 a.m., 7:33 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:20 a.m., 6:41 p.m.
Greenport: 7:49 a.m., 8:10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:28 a.m., 8:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:44 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:11 a.m., 9:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:18 a.m., 9:39 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:03 a.m., 4:28 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:59 a.m., 8:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:07 a.m., 7:25 p.m.
Greenport: 8:36 a.m., 8:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:18 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:31 a.m., 8:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:58 a.m., 10:16 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:05 a.m., 10:23 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:59 a.m., 5:20 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.