This Morning’s Bulletin — 9.15.21
• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 81 degrees and a south wind 6 to 14 miles per hour. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, with increasing clouds and a low around 68. Thursday will be cloudy, with a high near 78 degrees and a 50 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 4 p.m. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 77 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 p.m. There’s a high rip current alert on ocean beaches on the South Shore today through 9 p.m.
• The North Fork Environmental Council and Save the Sound host a Zoom presentation this evening at 6:30 p.m. on Microplastics in the Long Island Sound. Here are more detail.
• Peconic Landing in Greenport reports this week that its Community Giveback Celebration on Sept. 12 was a great success, raising $20,350 for the Greenport Fire Department. Funds were contributed by participants of the 15th annual John May Mile and 5K Race, as well as community sponsors and local vendors.
• Beacon columnist Dave Davis discusses new methods of not sweating the small stuff that he’s learned throughout the upheaval of the past year in this month’s Dave’s Desk@Ditch.
• The Old Town Arts & Crafts Guild in Cutchogue has put up a new online store to feature the 288 pieces in its third juried show — “Sources of Inspiration” — which had been on hold since the beginning of the pandemic.
• Suffolk County reported 556 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, Sept. 13, with 5.5 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 251 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 45 of them in ICU. The county reported two new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 3,494 people.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:33 a.m., 6:08 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:41 a.m., 5:16 p.m.
Greenport: 6:10 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7 a.m., 7:25 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:05 a.m., 6:40 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:32 a.m., 8:07 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:39 a.m., 8:14 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:30 a.m., 5:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:39 a.m., 3:10 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:40 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:48 a.m., 6:17 p.m.
Greenport: 7:17 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:06 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:12 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:39 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:46 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:38 a.m., 6:07 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet:3:47 a.m., 4:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.