• Today will be sunny, with a high near 77 degrees and a west wind 9 to 13 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 55. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 79 and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 78.
• Today is Car Free Day Long Island, a day designed to open Long Islanders’ minds about alternative methods of transportation. Here’s a toolkit for how to participate.
• Fresh on the heels of a new Suffolk County bikeshare program in Hampton Bays, Patchogue and Babylon, Riverhead Town announced this week that the program is soon coming to Riverhead, with five bike docking stations in downtown Riverhead and one at the recreational trail at EPCAL. More details are online here.
• In coordination with the Global Climate Strike week that begins today, local climate activists are holding a local action in Southampton Village next Tuesday, Oct. 24 at 5 p.m. More details are online here.
• The U.S. Senate Appropriations Homeland Security Subcommittee is currently discussing legislation to preserve Plum Island, and environmentalists are asking the community to weigh in on the proposal by contacting the committee in Washington.
• Tomorrow, Sept. 21, is International Coastal Cleanup Day, and the North Fork Environmental Council is celebrating with a series of beach cleanups throughout the North Fork. More details are online here.
• For the past 30 years, the East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation in Greenport has celebrated the nautical history of the East End with its Maritime Festival, which will hold a milestone celebration this weekend. Read more in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:31 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:39 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
Greenport: 3:08 a.m., 3:24 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:55 a.m., 4:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:03 a.m., 3:19 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:30 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:37 a.m., 4:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:20 a.m., 1:31 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:40 a.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:23 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:31 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Greenport: 4 a.m., 4:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:48 a.m., 5:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:55 a.m., 4:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:22 a.m., 5:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:29 a.m., 5:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:13 a.m., 2:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:22 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.