Good Morning!

• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. today, with partly sunny skies and a high near 80 degrees. The wind will be out of the southwest at 7 to 15 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 26. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight, tapering off after midnight with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 59. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 75. There’s a 50 percent chance of rain Friday, mainly after 8 a.m., with cloudy skies and a high near 72. The remains of Hurricane Dorian are currently expected to pass to the southeast of Montauk overnight, with winds here not expected to exceed 30 miles per hour. We’ll have more details as the tracking progresses.

• There is a high risk of rip currents at ocean beaches along the South Shore today and into this evening.

• A Brookhaven National Laboratory physicist, Stony Brook University music professor, an interdisciplinary artist and a composer/artist will present a conversation about how 3D printed sculptures, sound, and virtual reality can help unpack complex structures at the nanoscale at the Parrish Art Museum on Friday, Sept. 6. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• This month’s The Poem, “Hitting the Beach,” comes from Neil Young of Flanders. From Beacon Poetry Editor Billy Hands: “This piece has bounce and is of the moment. As the summer winds down, people realize that they put things off until it’s too late!”

• The Riverhead Town Board meets this afternoon at 2 p.m. Here’s their agenda.

• The Plastic Reduction and Elimination Project of the North Fork meets this evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Peconic Lane Community Center. All are welcome.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

September 4
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:07 a.m., 2:39 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:15 a.m., 1:47 p.m.
Greenport: 2:44 a.m., 3:!6 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:43 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:39 a.m., 3:11 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:06 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:13 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:20 a.m., 1:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:05 p.m.

September 5
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:06 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:14 a.m., 2:48 p.m.
Greenport: 3:43 a.m., 4:17 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:41 a.m., 5:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:38 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:05 a.m., 5:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:12 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:17 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:26 a.m., 1 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: