This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.23.14
• There are still a few lingering delays on the South Fork this morning due to Tuesday night’s snowstorm. Schools in East Hampton, Montauk, Sag Harbor, Wainscott and Southampton will have a two hour delay, as well as The Ross School in East Hampton and the Our Lady of the Hamptons schools in Southampton. Amagansett and Sagaponack will open at 10 a.m., Bridgehampton will open at 9:50 a.m., Springs will open at 10:20 am., Oysterponds will have a two hour delay, Tuckahoe opens at 10 a.m. and Hampton Bays has a one hour delay.
• The National Weather Service says wind chills this morning will be between zero degrees and 10 degrees below zero. Highs today will be between 15 and 20 degrees. We’re expecting wind chills as low as 15 below zero tonight and highs tomorrow again between 15 and 20 degrees. NWS says temperatures may rise to the low 30s by Saturday.
• Westbound trains out of Speonk have been running a few minutes behind schedule after the 5:08 was delayed in Patchogue with equipment issues. The 5:30 a.m. train from Greenport to Ronkonkoma is running 10 minutes late.
• Habitat for Humanity is building its first house in Orient, and they’re looking for applicants who live in Southold Town and would like to buy and work to build the home. Applicants must have lived or worked in the town for three years and meet the income eligibility requirements. More information is online here. Applications are being accepted through Jan. 31. The property, on Greenway East in Orient, was reclaimed by Suffolk County for non-payment of taxes and is being given to Southold Town, which is partnering with Habitat for Humanity to build the house.
• Riverhead’s town board work session scheduled for this morning has been cancelled. The board meets again on Jan. 30 at 10 a.m. Today is Riverhead Town Board ace reporter Tim Gannon’s 50th birthday, not that that has anything to do with why the meeting is cancelled.
• Audubon Society volunteers found a whole slew of neat birds at their 110th annual Orient Christmas Bird Count. More info here.
• Don’t forget to plan your weekend with The Beacon’s events calendar.