• We’re expecting mostly sunny skies today, with a high near 46 degrees and a west wind 14 to 16 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers overnight, and a 50 percent chance of showers, mainly before 2 p.m. on Thursday, when the high will be near 50 degrees. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
• The Long Island Power Authority’s board of directors is expected to vote today on whether to purchase electric power from the proposed Deepwater Wind offshore wind farm proposed 30 miles off the coast of Montauk. We’ll have more details this afternoon.
• Laura Jens-Smith of Laurel announced Tuesday night that she plans to challenge the seat held by Riverhead Town Supervisor Sean Walter in this fall’s election. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Peconic Estuary Program will be holding their next Citizens Advisory Committee meeting today, Jan. 25 at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County, 423 Griffing Avenue Riverhead, NY 11901 from 1 to 3 p.m. Anyone interested in the health of the Peconic Estuary is welcome to attend. More details are online here.
• Auditions for the new “Riverhead’s Got Talent” show, to be held Friday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. at the Riverhead High School Auditorium, begin tonight. Riverhead School District residents in grades 7 through 12 are invited to audition as singers, duets, trios, dancers, groups, troupes, bands, musicians, comedians and one acts. Auditions will be held this afternoon from 3 to 5:30 in Room E-3 of Riverhead Middle School, tomorrow afternoon from 2 to 7 p.m. and Friday afternoon from 2 to 5:30 p.m. in the Riverhead High School auditorium. Tickets to next Friday’s show are $15 and are available at Riverhead Town Hall and the town’s recreation and senior center at 60 Shade Tree Lane.
• Riverside Rediscovered hosts its monthly meet-up tomorrow night, Jan. 26 at 6:30 p.m. at Sarikopa Organic Tea & Coffee House on Riverleigh Avenue. Anyone interested in the future of Riverside is welcome to attend. More details are online here.
• Sculptor and artist Cindy Pease-Roe will be kicking off a special, four-month series of Upsculpting workshops at the Southampton Arts Center tomorrow, Jan. 26 at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here. [$20]
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 7:10 a.m., 7:34 p.m.
Orient: 8:11 a.m., 8:35 p.m.
Greenport: 8:39 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 8:34 a.m., 8:58 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 10:01 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
S. JPT: 10:08 a.m., 10:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:12 a.m., 5:35 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 7:50 a.m., 8:14 p.m.
Orient: 8:51 a.m., 9:15 p.m.
Greenport: 9:19 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 9:14 a.m., 9:38 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 10:41 a.m., 11:05 p.m.
S. JPT: 10:48 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:54 a.m., 6:16 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.