• We’re expecting a 60 percent chance of light snow today, mainly before noon, with cloudy skies, a high near 35 and a north wind 8 to 14 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 25. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches are possible. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 18. There’s a slight chance of snow Tuesday morning, changing to a chance of rain in the afternoon, under cloudy skies, with a high near 38. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.
• As refugees, students and immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim nations found themselves detained at United States airports over the weekend due to President Donald Trump’s executive order banning entry to the United States Friday afternoon, East End Congressman Lee Zeldin held fast in his support for the ban Sunday, while stating that he worked for the release of a Stony Brook University student detained over the weekend at John F. Kennedy International Airport. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The thud of slowing sales at the ultra-high end brought down the South Fork’s real estate sales figures in the fourth quarter of 2016, while prices rose dramatically on the North Fork, according to several new real estate reports. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Southold Town’s Greenport Synergy conversation with the police, originally scheduled for last Monday, has been rescheduled for tonight, Jan. 30, at 6 p.m. at St. Agnes School. More details are online here.
• Former DNC Chairman and Vermont Governor Howard Dean will take part in “an intimate, nonpartisan discussion about about the current state of American politics and the next four years” at Peconic Landing in Greenport tomorrow, Jan. 31 at 4 p.m. Required registration for this free event is online here. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 10:28 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Orient: 11:29 a.m., 11:57 p.m.
Greenport: 11:57 a.m.
Sag Hbr: 11:52 a.m.
N. Suffolk: 1:06 a.m., 1:19 p.m.
S. JPT: 1:13 a.m., 1:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:29 a.m., 8:55 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 11:10 a.m., 11:40 p.m.
Orient: 12:11 p.m.
Greenport: 12:25 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:20 a.m., 12:34 p.m.
N. Suffolk: 1:47 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
S. JPT: 1:54 a.m., 2:08 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:14 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.