This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.30.19
• We’re expecting scattered snow showers today, mainly after 3 p.m., with increasing clouds and a high near 30, with a west wind 18 to 24 miles per hour and wind chill values between 10 and 20. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 6. We’re expecting isolated snow showers after 9 a.m. Thursday, with mostly sunny skies and a high near 19. We’re expecting increasing clouds on Friday, with a high near 23.
• Residents of Mattituck learned this past month that plans to preserve a wooded corner of New Suffolk Avenue had not gone through, and instead the property was sold by former owner Bridgehampton National Bank in December of 2018. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Suffolk County and the Rockefeller Institute of Government will be holding a forum on the opioid addiction crisis, “Stories from Suffolk,” on Wednesday, Feb. 6 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Kimisis Tis Theotokou Church in Southampton. More details are online here.
• Both houses of the New York State Legislature approved major gun control legislation Tuesday that would ban bump stocks, extend the waiting period for gun purchasers who don’t pass instant background checks and would prohibit teachers from carrying guns in schools. The bill now awaits Governor Andrew Cuomo’s signature.
• Dr. StephenTettelbach will present a lecture on Restoration of Peconic Bay Scallop Populations and Fisheries at Chancellor’s Hall on the Stony Brook Southampton Campus this Friday, Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• The Long Island Buddhist Meditation Center in Northville has launched a Center for Ethical Biodiversity in cooperation with the Long Island Regional Seed Consortium. The group’s first workshop, on plant propagation, will be held this Saturday, Feb. 2 from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. More details are online here. [$65, includes seeds and propagation materials]
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:45 a.m., 6:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:53 a.m., 5:22 p.m.
Greenport: 6:22 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:04 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:17 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:44 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:51 a.m., 8:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:38 a.m., 5 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:47 a.m., 3:09 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:38 a.m., 7:04 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:46 a.m., 6:12 p.m.
Greenport: 7:15 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:59 a.m., 8:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:10 a.m., 7:36 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:37 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:44 a.m., 9:10 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:35 a.m., 6 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:44 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.