• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high temperature near 76 degrees and a southwest wind 6 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 40 percent chance of overnight showers, mainly after 3 a.m., with a low around 53. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 64 and a 40 percent chance of showers. Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 65.
• Thomas Murphy of Holbrook, who had been convicted of driving while intoxicated and killing 12-year-old Boy Scout Andrew McMorris, of Wading River, in a motor vehicle crash on Sept. 30, 2018, was sentenced yesterday to the maximum sentence of eight and one-third to 25 years in prison.
• Volunteers throughout Southampton Town will participating in the Great East End Cleanup this weekend, Oct. 3 & 4. Clean-up supplies are available through tomorrow at Town Hall and at the North Sea Transfer Station. Here’s more information.
• Suffolk County reported 53 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Sept. 30, with 1.3 percent of people tested testing positive. Thirty-one people are currently hospitalized with the virus in Suffolk, with five of them in ICU. The county reported one new death, bringing the death toll here to 2,015.
• The Southampton Town Board meets this morning at 10 a.m. for a presentation of the Town Supervisor’s 2021 budget, followed by a work session discussion on agricultural planned development districts. Here’s the agenda.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss painting a water tower at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. Here’s the agenda.
• The Beacon’s October print edition is now on newsstands on the North Fork and will be delivered to all our South Fork newsstands by midday today. You’ll read many of these articles in print before you find them here, and our print edition supports much of the work we do!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:09 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:17 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
Greenport: 10:46 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:46 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:41 a.m., 11:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:27 a.m., 9:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:36 a.m., 7:50 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:48 a.m., 11:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:56 a.m., 10:17 p.m.
Greenport: 11:25 a.m., 11:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:07 a.m., 12:22 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:20 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:28 a.m., 12:47 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:35 a.m., 12:54 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:02 a.m., 10:17 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:11 a.m., 8:26 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.