• It will be partly sunny today, with a high temperature near 85 degrees and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 53. Showers are likely Thursday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 62. Friday will be mostly sunny and windy, with a high near 70 and a 30 percent chance of showers before 8 a.m.
• East Hampton and Southampton high schools are directly confronting the national vaping epidemic by rallying the community at upcoming Town Hall meetings and classroom workshops this evening and tomorrow. More details are online here.
• In cooperation with NASA, Custer Observatory in Southold will be participating in International Observe the Moon Night on Saturday, Oct. 5. This is a worldwide celebration of lunar science and exploration held annually since 2010.
• John Turner, one of the co-founders of the Long Island Pine Barrens Society, will lead a hike in the rare Dwarf Pine Plains to learn the life history of the Pine Barrens Buck Moth this Saturday at 10:30 a.m.
• The East Hampton Group for Good Government will hold a debate among candidates for East Hampton Town Board this Saturday, Oct. 5 at 4 p.m. at the East Hampton Library at 159 Main Street, East Hampton. All are welcome.
• The Southold Town Economic Development Committee is launching a new peer-to-peer small business-building program titled ‘Southold EDC BizChats,” beginning Oct. 8. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:48 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:22 p.m.
Greenport: 1:25 a.m., 1:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:26 a.m., 2:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:20 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:47 a.m., 3:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:54 a.m., 3:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:01 a.m., 12:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:41 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:43 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:51 a.m., 1:18 p.m.
Greenport: 2:20 a.m., 2:47 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:19 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:15 a.m., 2:42 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:42 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:49 a.m., 4:16 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:57 a.m., 1:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:35 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.