• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 54 degrees and a northwest wind 11 to 15 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 33. We’re expecting patchy frost before 9 a.m. tomorrow, but otherwise it will be sunny, with a high near 62. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 67.
• The National Weather Service has reported that a tornado touched down on Fishers Island during the storm that passed through our region early Monday morning. At around 7:35 a.m., emergency services on the island reported that small buildings were torn off their foundations and boats were tossed around the harbor, leading the National Weather Service to a preliminary designation of an EF0, with winds of 65 to 85 miles per hour.
• After a year and a half in which civil discourse in this country has gone straight to hell, the gravity of the situation in Pittsburgh feels like a deeper well, an ancient wound, and one that we might have difficulty comprehending if we hadn’t spent some time here, throughout our lives, with people who survived the Holocaust. Read our November editorial.
• The Accabonac Protection Committeewill hold a special forum titled “From the Ice Age to Our Taps: A Forum on Our Drinking Water” this evening, Oct. 30 at 5:30 p.m. at Ashawagh Hall. All are welcome to attend.
• The Quogue Wildlife Refuge hosts a program “All About Bats” this evening at 7 p.m. [$5]
• Today is the last day to subscribe in time to receive our November print edition in your mailbox later this week. You’ll read many of our stories in print before you find them here!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:34 a.m., 2:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:42 a.m., 2:05 p.m.
Greenport: 3:11 a.m., 3:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:08 a.m., 4:25 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:06 a.m., 3:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:33 a.m., 4:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:40 a.m., 5:03 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:48 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:10 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:38 a.m., 4:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:46 a.m., 3:14 p.m.
Greenport: 4:15 a.m., 4:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:10 a.m., 5:30 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:10 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:37 a.m., 6:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:44 a.m., 6:12 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:51 a.m., 3:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.