• Today will be sunny, with a high near 68 degrees and light and variable winds becoming southwest 5 to 10 miles per hour in the morning. Tonight will be clear, with a low around 44. Tomorrow will be sunny, with a high near 64 degrees. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers Thursday afternoon, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 68.
• You are most likely aware that election day is today, as tends to happen the day after scallop season opens. We’ve put together all our election coverage this year in one spot, online here, to help you with your decision-making.
• One would-be scalloper was dead set on getting his boat into the water at dawn this morning: He lost an axle from his trailer somewhere near the Cutchogue Fire Department and dragged his boat several miles down the road and through New Suffolk, smashing into several cars on Second Street, dragging his dredges down Jackson Street, tangling them in other parked boat trailers along the way, dead set on the blue-eyed prize until the police intervened and told him to have the mess hauled away. New Suffolkers spent the rest of the morning wandering the streets gawking at the damage and wondering about the racket that had wakened them at dawn.
• All of our local esteemed town boards are taking the day off from meeting today, as they bite their nails and wait for election results to roll in tonight. The Southold Town Board will get back to work bright and early tomorrow, with a 9 a.m. work session where they’ll discuss the Benjamin Franklin mile markers, the town fire marshal and the town’s fund balance. They will hold an evening meeting tomorrow at 7 p.m. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board meets at 2 p.m. tomorrow. They’ll be holding public hearings on the 2016 budget, on Community Development Block Grant requests, on microbreweries, public alcohol consumption on Sundays and an unsafe building on Griffing Avenue. Their full list of public hearings is online here.
• The North Fork United Methodist Church on Route 25 in Cutchogue will host its annual election night scallop dinner tonight beginning at 5 p.m., with seatings at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are available by calling 631.734.6033.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.