• We’re expecting areas of frost before 8 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 59 degrees and a calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 7 miles per hour in the afternoon. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after 11 p.m., with a steady temperature around 55. Thursday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 70 and a 20 percent chance of morning showers. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 70 and a southwest wind 7 to 10 miles per hour.
• A pitched battle over how to compensate songwriters for live performances of their work is playing out behind the scenes in most towns across the United States — although it rarely makes headlines. Our reporter Glenn Jochum took a look this month at how the battle over music royalties is affecting the North Fork. Read his account online here.
• Southold Town will hold a special joint meeting to discuss water supply and demand with the Suffolk County Water Authority, the Southold Town Board, the Southold Town Planning Board and the Southold Town Water Conservation Committee on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 2 p.m. at the Southold Town Meeting Hall. The public is welcome to attend.
• Nomi Dayan, the executive director of The Whaling Museum and Education Center of Cold Spring Harbor and author of “Whaling on Long Island,” will explore the rise and fall of whaling on Long Island in a special presentation this morning at 11 a.m. at the Southampton Historical Museum. More details are online here.
• Author Kerriann Flanagan Brosky will discuss “Historic Crimes of Long Island: Misdeeds from the 1600s to the 1950s” tomorrow evening at 6 p.m. at the Suffolk County Historical Society Museum in Riverhead. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:13 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:21 a.m., 7:38 p.m.
Greenport: 8:50 a.m., 9:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:34 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:45 a.m., 9:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:12 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:19 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:20 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:51 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:59 a.m., 8:19 p.m.
Greenport: 9:28 a.m., 9:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:19 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:23 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:50 a.m., 11:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:57 a.m., 11:17 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:07 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.