• Today will be sunny, with a high near 39 degrees but wind chill values between 15 and 25, with a north wind 8 to 11 miles per hour. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 16. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 38, and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 38.
• While there was general support for moving downtown Montauk landward at a public hearing before the East Hampton Town Board Dec. 6, many speakers were concerned that the town’s plan for coastal retreat may not be enough, in light of recent climate reports. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Flanders, Riverside & Northampton Community Association and Riverside Rediscovered will host a Community Holiday Party this coming Wednesday, Dec. 12 at 6 p.m. at the David W. Crohan Community Center at 655 Flanders Road. Everyone is welcome. More details are online here.
• Despite the dreariness of winter, there are also vibrant punches of red to be found this time of year, especially in one of Gardenwise columnist Susan Tito’s favorite plants, Ilex verticillata, or as it is commonly known, winterberry.
• All through the month of December, subscriptions to the East End Beacon’s print edition are just $10! Don’t miss this opportunity to subscribe now, or to share a subscription with a reader on your list.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:37 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:45 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Greenport: 12:14 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:53 a.m., 1:03 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:09 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:20 a.m., 1:36 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:27 a.m., 1:43 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:42 a.m., 11:15 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:51 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:10 a.m., 12:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:33 a.m.
Greenport: 12:47 a.m., 1:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:35 a.m., 1:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:42 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:09 a.m., 2:24 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:16 a.m., 2:31 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:26 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:35 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.