• We’re expecting areas of dense fog before 8 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 60 degrees and a light south wind in the morning. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 41. Tomorrow wil be mostly sunny, with a high near 59, Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 60. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers Monday, mainly after noon, but otherwise it will be cloudy and breezy, with a high near 61.
• Liz Garbus’s thorough and stunning portrait of Nina Simone, which aired last Friday at the Hamptons Take 2 Documentary Film Festival, has been short-listed for an Oscar nomination for best documentary. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Fork at 977 Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Turnpike is hosting a Community Poetry Reading with t tonight, Dec. 11 at 7 p.m. Feature readers include poets Rosalind Brenner, Carolyn Bistrian, and Virginia Walker. All poets are welcome to join in and read at this celebration of poetry. More information is online here.
• Chris Paparo will present a short history of falconry at the South Fork Natural History Museum tomorrow, Dec. 12 at 10:30 a.m. Chris will talk about the training he and his falcon Emmy went through to learn to work together, and the other species of hawks and falcons used in the sport of falconry. More information is online here. (Free-$7]
• Holiday celebrating is still in full swing this weekend, with Christmas stories, a bonfire, visits from Santa, crafts, projects and parties all over the East End this weekend. Our full listings are online here.
• Don’t forget to water your Christmas tree, says Suffolk County’s Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services department. You don’t want this to happen:
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.