• Today will be sunny, with a high near 33 degrees but wind chill values between 5 and 15, with a northwest wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. We’re expecting increasing clouds this evening, with the temperature rising to around 35 by 4 a.m. There’s a slight chance of light rain after 10 a.m. Friday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 49. We’re expecting rain before noon Saturday, then showers after noon, with a high near 55.
• There’s a growing theory among those who are aware of how quickly our society could all fall apart who believe that places with strong, capable communities will be the most resilient against all the future pressures the world will face. We believe the East End is one such community. Read more in December’s Editorial.
• The Riverhead Town Board is slated to discuss CMA Mine, a Pine Barrens Commission environmental quality referral for SAS Industries and an update on the Calverton sewer project at their 10 a.m. work session this morning.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss personnel issues in a closed door executive session for their work session this morning.
• Tonight is the full moon. Get out their on the trails and see its beauty shimmering on what’s left of the snow with the Group for the East End at Cutchogue’s Downs Farm Preserve at 6 p.m.; with the Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt at the South Fork Natural History Museum in Bridgehampton at 6 p.m.
• The Sag Harbor Cinema Arts Center is commemorating the third anniversary of the fire that nearly destroyed the cinema with a visit with Santa and a free screening of “Cinema Paradiso” next Monday, Dec. 16 at 6 p.m. at Bay Street Theatre. More details are online here. The cinema is expected to reopen this spring.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:30 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:38 a.m., 9:09 p.m.
Greenport: 10:07 a.m., 10:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11 a.m., 11:36 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:02 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:29 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:36 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:34 a.m., 9:06 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:43 a.m., 7:15 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:11 a.m., 10:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:19 a.m., 9:53 p.m.
Greenport: 10:48 a.m., 11:22 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:42 a.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:43 a.m., 11:17 p.m.
New Suffolk: Midnight, 12:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:07 a.m., 12:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:13 a.m., 9:51 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:22 a.m., 8 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.