• The frigidity deepens today, with a blustery northwest wind making a sunny, 21 degree day feel like -5 to -15 degrees. Clouds will increase overnight, with a low around 2. We’re expecting cloudy skies Friday, with a high near 23, and a 50 percent chance of snow on Saturday, with a high near 28.
• Jeremy Dennis, a photographer from the Shinnecock Nation, is on a quest to piece together the pre-colonial history of fish-shaped Long Island, visiting sites from the fish’s tail of the Twin Forks to its mouth at Jamaica Bay, documenting, in photographs, the current landscape and its historical significance. Read our talk with Mr. Dennis, who was Peconic Landing’s first Artist in Residence this fall, online here.
• The roller skating rink in Greenport’s American Legion Hall, long a place where Porters cultivated great adolescent memories, will reopen New Year’s Eve with a great big bash. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Butterfly Effect Project’s winter fundraiser is tonight at 8 p.m. at The Suffolk Theater in downtown Riverhead. That Motown Band will be performing to raise money for this program to empower young women. More details are online here. [$39]
• East End tax receivers’ offices are seeing a flurry of people attempting to pay their full year’s property taxes in advance of new federal tax laws that cap property tax deductions that go into effect Jan. 1. Southold Town has announced that their tax receiver will stay open until 4 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 29, even though other town offices will close at 11:30 a.m. Mailed payments postmarked by Dec. 31 will also be credited as paid in 2017. Southampton Town Supervisor Jay Schneiderman also announced last week that Southampton will gladly accept full payments for 2018 taxes before the end of this year.
• The Southampton Town Board’s work session scheduled for this morning has been cancelled.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:18 a.m., 5:37 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:26 a.m., 4:45 p.m.
Greenport: 5:55 a.m., 6:14 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:29 a.m., 7:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:50 a.m., 6:09 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:17 a.m., 7:36 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:24 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:07 a.m., 2:33 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:07 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:15 a.m., 5:37 p.m.
Greenport: 6:44 a.m., 7:06 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:24 a.m., 8 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:39 a.m., 7:01 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:06 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:13 a.m., 8:35 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:08 a.m., 3:38 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.