• There’s a 40 percent chance of showers today, mainly after 10 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 52. Winds will be out of the south at 14 to 17 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers before 10 p.m. this evening, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 32 degrees. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 40 and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 37.
• Our society is suffering from compassion overload. Beacon Columnist Dave Davis offers some tips this month for keeping mentally fit to handle compassion fatigue.
• The Mattituck Lions Club and the Mattituck Fire Department are holding a blood drive tomorrow, Feb. 16 from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Mattituck American Legion at 600 Wickham Avenue. Every donor will receive a donut from the North Fork Donut Company and a coupon for a McDonald’s sandwich. For more information, call 1.800.688.0900.
• The North Fork Audubon Society is celebrating the Great Backyard Bird Count with a tally of the birds that visit the feeders at Inlet Pond County Park, 64795 Route 48 in Greenport between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. All are welcome to help out with the count!
• Supporters of a South Fork beach pass for residents of both Southampton and East Hampton town are holding a rally this Saturday, Feb. 16 at 1 p.m. at Town Line Beach in Wainscott, at the border of Southampton and East Hampton towns, in preparation for bringing their idea to the Feb. 25 meeting of the East Hampton Town Trustees. More details are online here.
• The Quogue Wildlife Refuge plays host to a winter fireside poetry reading for the whole family on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m., hosted by local poet and author Maggie Bloomfield. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:46 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:54 a.m., 5:21 p.m.
Greenport: 6:23 a.m., 6:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:18 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:45 a.m., 8:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:52 a.m., 8:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:28 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:37 a.m., 3:21 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:41 a.m., 7:05 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:49 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
Greenport: 7:18 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:02 a.m., 8:42 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:13 a.m., 7:37 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:40 a.m., 9:04 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:47 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:37 a.m., 6:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:46 a.m., 4:27 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.