• It will be cloudy today, with a high temperature near 35 degrees and a northwest wind 11 to 14 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 24. Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 39 degrees. There’s a 60 percent chance of snow, rain and freezing rain, turning to rain after 10 a.m. on Friday, with a high temperature near 45 degrees.
• It isn’t often that the right person with the right skills is in the right place at the right time, but when U.S. Marine Sgt. Marcus Santana was en route from work at the Armed Forces recruiting office on East Main Street in Riverhead Nov. 24, of last year, his training did not let him down. This week, the NAACP honored Sgt. Santana for his heroism. Read more.
• Can we learn to be honest with one another this year? This is a question we’ve been asking of each other, of our neighbors and of our readers since this newspaper was launched in 2017. The answer, until now, seemed to be a befuddling no. Read more about what you can do to fight Truth Decay in our February editorial.
• Suffolk County reported 778 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Tuesday, with 6.8 percent of people tested testing positive for the virus. There are currently 679 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 131 of them in ICU and 27 percent of hospital beds available. The county reported 11 new fatalities from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 2,815 people.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold a public hearing via Zoom this Friday, Feb. 5 at 11 a.m. on the petition for the incorporation of Wainscott. The public will be able to see and hear the hearing live on LTV channel 22, and may call in comments with respect to the legal sufficiency of the petition to 351.888.6331. Comments may also be provided by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to the Town Clerk, 159 Pantigo Road, East Hampton, NY 11937, and received before the hearing is closed (within 20 days of next Friday’s virtual meeting). Here’s the petition.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:41 a.m., 2 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:49 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Greenport: 2:18 a.m., 2:37 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:09 a.m., 3:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:13 a.m., 2:32 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:40 a.m., 3:59 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:47 a.m., 4:06 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:55 a.m., 1:08 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:17 a.m., 11:59 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:39 a.m., 3:02 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:47 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Greenport: 3:16 a.m., 3:39 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:05 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:11 a.m., 3:34 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:38 a.m., 5:01 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:45 a.m., 5:08 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:50 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:15 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.