• With a couple inches of snow on the ground at daybreak this morning, we’re under a winter storm warning until 6 p.m. today, and we’re expecting another 3 to 8 inches throughout the day today, likely heavier farther east. We’re expecting a steady temperature around 34 today, with a northwest wind 22 to 26 miles per hour and wind chill values between 20 and 25. Snow showers are possible overnight tonight, with skies gradually clearing and a low around 29. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 40 and a 30 percent chance of afternoon snow showers. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 43.
• Today’s snow cancellations are piling in, first and foremost with the postponement of the Riverhead Town Board’s qualified and eligible hearing for the CAT purchase of a large portion of EPCAL. The hearing, originally scheduled for tonight, will instead be held on Monday, March 19 at 6 p.m. at the Pulaski Street School.
• Southold Town has rescheduled their town board work session and meeting from today at 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively, to tomorrow at 9 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. The full agenda for both meetings is online here. East Hampton Town’s 10 a.m. work session and Southampton Town’s 1 p.m. town board meeting are cancelled, and all East End town halls are closed today.
• Greenporters are working to make contractors and the public more aware of the dangers of lead in their immediate environment. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• The Diocese of Rockville Center announced yesterday that Bishop McGann-Mercy High School in Riverhead will be closing, and Our Lady of Mercy Regional School in Cutchogue and St. Isidore School in Riverhead will be consolidated into a new Nursery through Grade 8 school on the St. Isidore site. The new school will be named St. John Paul II Regional School. More details are online here.
• Guild Hall in East Hampton’s new production of “Romeo & Juliet” opens tomorrow and continues through March 25. Read our correspondent Kara Westerman’s talk with the cast and director Josh Gladstone online here.
Today’s high tides on the East End are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:08 a.m., 8:30 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:16 a.m., 7:38 p.m.
Greenport: 8:45 a.m., 9:07 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:25 a.m., 9:53 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:40 a.m., 9:02 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:07 a.m., 10:29 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:14 a.m., 10:36 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:08 a.m., 5:38 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.