• Today will be sunny, with a high near 59 degrees and a north wind around 10 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 33. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 60. Showers are likely Wednesday, mainly before noon, with cloudy skies and a high near 51.
• As Holy Week begins and New Yorkers search for meaning in what is anticipated to be a brutal week of sickness and deaths, churches, synagogues and meditation centers throughout the East End are turning to teleconference calls, YouTube and online platforms like Facebook Live and Zoom to bring parishioners together while keeping us apart. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• If you heard the sound of fire station sirens winding up in unison up and down the East End at 7 p.m. Sunday, there was no cause for panic. It wasn’t an emergency. First responders throughout Suffolk County were paying tribute to health care workers, in light of the first Covid-19 fatality in the county among health care workers, Registered Nurse John Abruzzo of Huntington Hospital, whose death was reported April 3. Read our latest on the Coronavirus crisis.
• The Peconic Landing retirement community in Greenport reported Sunday that a ninth resident had died from Covid-19 related complications, a 98-year-old woman in The Shores for Skilled Nursing. The community reported seven of its residents in its health center have the disease, along with seven employees.
• As of Sunday afternoon, 207 people are suffering from Covid-19 in Southold Town, along with 192 people in Southampton Town, 143 in Riverhead, 56 in East Hampton and two on Shelter Island, according to Suffolk County. Shelter Island Town also reported over the weekend that two island residents, both men, have died from the disease.
• Right now, a simple little request, to be nice, is a matter of self preservation. And it is also a matter of the preservation of the society in which we were raised. Read this month’s editorial.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:03 a.m., 9:23 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:11 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
Greenport: 9:40 a.m., 10 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:37 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:35 a.m., 9:55 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:02 a.m., 11:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:09 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:12 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:21 a.m., 6:54 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:51 a.m., 10:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:59 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
Greenport: 10:28 a.m., 10:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:29 a.m., 11:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:23 a.m., 10:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:50 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:57 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:04 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:13 a.m., 7:43 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.