• We’re expecting patchy drizzle and fog before 9 a.m. today, with clouds lifting throughout the day and a high near 65. Winds will be out of the south at 5 to 13 miles per hour. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm are likely overnight, with a south wind 17 to 21 miles per hour, with gusts up to 32. Skies will clear on Tuesday, with a high near 70, but we’re expecting increasing clouds Wednesday, with a high near 63.
• As more than 100,000 people gathered in Washington, DC for the People’s Climate March on April 29, Sag Harbor played host to nearly 300 marchers, who joined in the effort to fight back against climate change deniers, the potential dismantling of the Environmental Protection Agency and the national climate that has suddenly become hostile to renewable energy. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• “Keeping the Pine in the Pine Barrens” is the theme of a fire management workshop at Brookhaven National Laboratory next Wednesday and Thursday, which organizers are hoping will bring volunteer fire personnel and members of the public together to learn more about the role of fire in the pine barrens. More details are online here.
• May is National Bike Month, and it’s a great season to revisit the joy of two-wheeled transport. Our editorial for May: Go Ride a Bike.
• May also brings Maygration, the annual slew of migrating songbirds that pass by our shores. North Fork Audubon’s Tuesdays with Tom celebrates Maygration every Tuesday this month, beginning tomorrow. More details are online here.
• Our May print edition, chock full of news for both forks, is now on newsstands. Go check it out! A full list of our retailers is online here. If you don’t see the paper, ask for it!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:16 a.m., 2:53 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:24 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
Greenport: 2:53 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:46 a.m., 4:27 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:48 a.m., 3:25 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:15 a.m., 4:52 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:22 a.m., 4:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:22 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:19 a.m., 3:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:27 a.m., 3:05 p.m.
Greenport: 3:56 a.m., 4:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:48 a.m., 5:29 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:51 a.m., 4:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:18 a.m., 5:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:25 a.m., 6:03 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:37 a.m., 1:21 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.