• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 59 degrees and a north wind around 9 miles per hour, becoming east in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Friday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. We’re expecting rain on Saturday, mainly after 9 a.m., with a high near 56 degrees.
• We’re proud to play host to writer Kara Westerman’s multimedia project on the East End’s housing crisis: “Four Stationary Walls: The New Nomads of the East End,” which originated as a podcast at Phantom Hampton: Stories From Where the Rest of Us Live. You can read the story online here.
• SUNY Stony Brook has confirmed the presence of a cyanobacteria bloom, more commonly known as blue–green algae, in Agawam Lake in the Town of Southampton, NY. Due to these findings, Suffolk County health officials are asking residents not to use or swim or wade in these waters and to keep their pets and children away from the area.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss the formation of an East Quogue Park District and building facilities improvements at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. The board will also hold a special meeting at noon for a public hearing to consider an extension of the town’s moratorium on Planned Development District applications. The work session agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss a special permit for Riverhead Centre and water and recreation grants at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• Dr. Georgette Grier-Key will give a talk on “Freedom Sisters and Suffragists,” a celebration of the centennial of women’s right to vote in New York State at Southampton Arts Center tomorrow evening, May 12 at 6 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:06 a.m., 11:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:14 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
Greenport: 11:43 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:11 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:38 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:34 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:41 a.m., 1:12 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:20 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:50 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:58 a.m., 11:08 p.m.
Greenport: 12:27 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:48 a.m., 1:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:22 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:16 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:23 a.m., 1:56 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:59 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.