• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 63 degrees and a northwest wind 10 to 18 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 37. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 58. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 56.
• In addition to cancelling in-person classes for the rest of this school year, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has also ordered school board and budget elections to be held by mail on June 9, and that village elections be put off until September 15. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Mattituck Lions Club has cancelled its 2020 Strawberry Festival’s 66th edition, which had been scheduled for Father’s Day Weekend in June. Our full story is online here.
• Suffolk County reported a decline in Covid-19 hospitalizations again over the weekend, with 813 people hospitalized, 324 of them in the ICU, as of County Executive Steve Bellone’s Sunday afternoon report. Mr. Bellone said as of Sunday 1,256 Suffolk residents had died from the disease.
• Mr. Bellone reported that 889 new positive diagnoses of Covid-19 had been reported in the prior 24 hours, still a stubbornly high number, bringing the county’s total confirmed cases to 36,974, a number which now includes people who have tested positive for antibodies after they’d had the coronavirus, in addition to people who had tested positive for an active infection.
• There’s no doubt we are all in for more pain in the weeks and months ahead. We’ll never quite recover from the lives we’ve lost, and while some of us may recover quickly from the lost work of the past two months, there are bound to be many East Enders who don’t. There are two ways the crucial time ahead can go for us all. Things can get better. Or things can get worse. Read our May editorial online here, or pick up a copy of the paper at one of our 80 newsstand locations today!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:49 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:57 a.m., 7:21 p.m.
Greenport: 8:26 a.m., 8:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:19 a.m., 9:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:21 a.m., 8:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:48 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:55 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:50 a.m., 7:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:59 a.m., 5:39 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:39 a.m., 9:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:47 a.m., 8:09 p.m.
Greenport: 9:16 a.m., 9:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:15 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:11 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:38 a.m., 11 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:45 a.m., 11:07 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:49 a.m., 8:22 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:58 a.m., 6:31 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.