• We’re expecting areas of dense fog before 11 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 66 degrees and a calm wind becoming east 5 to 9 miles per hour this afternoon. We’re expecting patchy fog after 4 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies overnight and a low around 47. There’s a 20 percent chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms Thursday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 67. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind 7 to 11 mph.
• With a decision possible on the fate of more than 1,600 acres of land at the Enterprise Park at Calverton as early as next week, environmental groups are urging the Town of Riverhead to not approve a deal to sell the property to a group of developers lead by the family that owns the Mall of America in Minnesota. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• New York State Assemblyman Fred Thiele announced Tuesday that the Peconic Land Trust has been awarded a $45,000 grant through New York’s Conservation Partnership Program to help protect farmland, wildlife habitat, water quality, enhance public access for outdoor recreational opportunities, and conserve priority open space areas. The Peconic Land Trust was one of 51 nonprofit land trusts across the State to receive a grant.
• The Southampton Town Supervisor’s Office is looking for speakers to share their stories of loss and hope due to the opioid crisis at a vigil to be held this Saturday, May 12 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Good Ground Park in Hampton Bays. If you’d like to speak, please contact Director of Communications Connie Conway at 631.702.1743.
• Chanteyman Stephen Sanfilippo will lead a Mother’s Day concert and poetry reading on “Love of “Mother” in the Songs and Poems of East End Whalemen” tomorrow, May 10 at 6 p.m. at the Suffolk County Historical Society in Riverhead. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:59 a.m., 6:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:07 a.m., 5:43 p.m.
Greenport: 6:36 a.m., 7:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:05 a.m., 7:38 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:31 a.m., 7:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:58 a.m., 8:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:05 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:37 a.m., 3:19 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:50 a.m., 7:20 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:58 a.m., 6:28 p.m.
Greenport: 7:27 a.m., 7:57 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8 a.m., 8:28 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:22 a.m., 7:52 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:49 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:56 a.m., 9:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:33 a.m., 4:11 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.