This Morning’s Bulletin 5.9.22
• It will be mostly sunny today, with a high temperature near 61 degrees and a northeast wind 20 to 23 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 34 mph. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 39. Tuesday will be sunny, with a high near 63 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 63.
• After two years of thinking just two weeks into the future — perhaps we’ll reopen in two weeks, and then another two weeks, and then another, and then planning smaller dramatic productions that were less likely to pack the house — the theater is now ready to open its doors May 12 for “The Producers,” its first musical production since before the world turned upside down. Read More.
• As the daybreak birdsong jars me from sleep in the waning days of April, downstairs on a heat mat, in a mess of peat moss and perlite, egg cartons and yogurt cups, I’m sure more green shoots are pushing up out of their seeding beds seeking this morning’s daylight. Read this month’s From the Lighthouse, about the pitfalls and wonders of planting new seeds.
• Canio’s Cultural Café in Sag Harbor is presenting “Steinbeck, In Search of America,” a series of talks, films and more celebrating Sag Harbor’s Nobel Prize-winning writer, John Steinbeck. Read More.
• Suffolk County reported 844 new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, May 7, with 9.2 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 143 people hospitalized with the virus in the county, with 12 of them in ICU. The county reported one new fatality from the virus, bringing the death toll here to 4,389 people since March of 2020.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:09 a.m., 5:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:17 a.m., 4:57 p.m.
Greenport: 5:46 a.m., 6:26 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:09 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:41 a.m., 6:21 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:08 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:15 a.m., 7:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:28 a.m., 4:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:37 a.m., 2:35 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:05 a.m., 6:38 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:13 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Greenport: 6:42 a.m., 7:15 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:07 a.m., 7:44 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:37 a.m., 7:10 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:04 a.m., 8:37 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:11 a.m., 8:44 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 4:23 a.m., 5:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:32 a.m., 3:28 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.