• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, mainly after 3 p.m., but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 87 degrees and a west wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. For the third day this week, we’re under an air quality advisory from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. today, and the DEC is warning people against doing strenuous work outdoors. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. The heat breaks tomorrow. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 74, and Thursday will be sunny, with a high near 70.
• The water that comes out of our taps is something that many of us take for granted, and the Suffolk County Water Authority is in the midst of embarking on an educational campaign to help the public better understand where their water supply comes from, how it is tested and treated, and what we can all do to protect this resource for our children. Read The Beacon’s full story online here.
• We’re very excited to present the first column in legendary North Fork editor Tim Kelly’s new series: Between the Lines, online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss bids on a Montauk shuttle bus proposal, water quality improvement conceptual project proposals, a public hearing on outdoor dining and a request from the Montauk Playhouse Foundation at their 10 a.m. work session this morning at the Montauk firehouse. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will hold public hearings on an extension of the planned development district for the Sandy Hollow Cove workforce housing project in Tuckahoe, to require parking by permit only on town-owned property on Dune Road in East Quogue and limiting the number of cars parked overnight at rental properties to four at their 1 p.m. meeting this afternoon. Their full agenda is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1 a.m., 1:41 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:08 a.m., 12:49 p.m.
Greenport: 1:37 a.m., 2:18 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:18 a.m., 2:54 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:32 a.m., 2:13 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:59 a.m., 3:40 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:06 a.m., 3:47 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:37 a.m., 10:38 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:42 a.m., 2:26 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:50 a.m., 1:34 p.m.
Greenport: 2:19 a.m., 3:03 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3 a.m., 3:36 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:14 a.m., 2:58 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:41 a.m., 4:25 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:48 a.m., 4:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:21 a.m., 11:23 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.