This Morning’s Bulletin — 6.30.15

Shinnecock Inlet Sunday
Shinnecock Inlet Sunday

Good Morning!

• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 78 degrees and a light south wind, increasing to 5 to 9 miles per hour throughout the morning. We’re expecting showers tonight after 2 a.m. and possibly a thunderstorm, with a low around 62 degrees. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers tomorrow, with a high near 82 degrees. Thursday, there’s a 20 percent chance of showers, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a hing near 81 degrees. Friday is expected to be mostly cloudy, with a high near 78 degrees and a 30 percent chance of rain.

• A replica of the French frigate Hermione, which carried the Marquis de Lafayette to the American colonies to help fight in the American Revolution, is making its way up the East Coast — they’ll be visiting the Statue of Liberty over the Fourth of July and then coming to Greenport July 6 to be part of the Tall Ships Challenge here. The Beacon’s full story on this fascinating ship is online here.

• East Hampton won a $250,000 state grant this past winter to develop a Coastal Assessment and Resiliency Plan, in the hopes of preparing the town to brace for rising seas and erratic weather expected as the Earth’s climate changes, and earlier this month, the town created a Coastal Resiliency Project Advisory Committee to guide that plan. The Beacon’s full story is online here.

• The Southold Town Board will discuss a grant for the completion of the comprehensive plan, tiny houses on Fishers Island and a request by the New Suffolk Waterfront Fund to use the parking lot at the New Suffolk Town Beach for their “Happy Hour at the Waterfront” event on July 18 at their 9 a.m. work session this morning. There is a public hearing scheduled on town code changes regarding peddling permits at their 4:30 p.m. meeting this afternoon. The full agenda for both meetings is online here.

It's time to get your fireworks on.
It’s time to get your fireworks on.

• The North Sea Fire Department’s 69th annual carnival kicks off tonight and runs through Sat., July 4, from 7 to 11 p.m. at Firemen’s Field in North Sea. Fireworks will be held on Wednesday, July 1 at 10 p.m. and Friday, July 3 at 10 p.m. More information is online here. Our full Fourth of July carnival, parade & fireworks listings are online here.

• This year would be the 58th year of the Annual Fireworks Show at Shelter Island’s Crescent Beach, but The Shelter Island Chamber of Commerce has “cancelled” the fireworks in an attempt to jumpstart donations for the July 11 show. Proceeds from the tax-deductible gifts to The Clamshell Foundation for the fireworks spectacular will raise money for and expand the Chamber’s annual Shelter Island High School Student Awards program. The Chamber of Commerce is accepting donations for the fireworks here. As of Monday night, they’d raised $38,415 of the $40,000 needed to host the fireworks display. More information is online here.

• The first mosquito of the year in Suffolk County tested positive for West Nile Virus last week, but the Suffolk County Health Department says there’s little reason for alarm. So far, no human, bird or animal cases have been reported here this year. The infected bug was found in South Huntington, far from the East End, but the health department is asking us all to make sure there’s no standing water on our property in which mosquitoes can breed, a good idea even when there aren’t West Nile mosquitoes around.

• Suffolk County’s Vector Control is preparing to spray another round of the aerial larvaecide Vectobac 12AS to kill recently-bred mosquitoes throughout the island today. They began work at 5 a.m. and are expected to continue through 8 p.m. tonight. On the East End, they’re expected to spray Jagger Lane, Apacuck Point, Meadow Lane, Iron Point and North Sea in Southampton Town; Napeague and Accabonac Harbor in East Hampton Town; Indian Island, the Aquebogue Overlook, the Crescent Duck Farm, Aquebogue Farm and Millar Farm in Riverhead Town; and New Suffolk, Great Hog Neck, Pipes Neck Creek and Pipes Cove in Southold Town. For more information, you can call Vector Control at 631.852.4270.

• The Bruce Springsteen tribute band Badlands will be the first performer in a series of free July concerts on the East Quogue Village Green tonight at 6:45 p.m. Free outdoor summer concerts are popping up throughout the East End this week. Our full listings are online here.

• Brooklyn-born singer-songwriter Michael Sackler-Berner, who takes his cues from musicians he’s worked with who survived the 1960s, will perform at The Stephen Talkhouse tonight at 8 p.m. More information is online here.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

 

 

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Please prove you're human: