• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 79 degrees and a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with the 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms continuing overnight and a low around 62. Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 83 degrees and Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
• East End hospitals are again accepting visitors, after patient visitors were barred from entry for more than three months to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus. More details are online here.
• Suffolk County reported no Covid deaths in the past 24 hours on June 29 for the second time since the pandemic began. The county reported 33 new cases of the coronavirus, with 66 people hospitalized (a decrease of six) and 24 patients in ICU (an increase of one). Seven new patients were admitted to Suffolk hospitals and nine were discharged. The county’s death toll currently stands at 1,979.
• Democratic Primary Update: State Senate candidate Laura Ahearn reported June 29 that her campaign was leading Brookhaven Town Councilwoman Valerie Cartright by 240 votes with 7,593 votes counted after election night last Tuesday, with 18,000 absentee ballots in this race that had been received by the Suffolk County Board of Elections. Counting of absentee ballots is slated to begin tomorrow.
• Riverhead Central School District Superintendent of Schools Dr. Aurelia Henriquez submitted her resignation Monday “based upon certain irreconcilable differences and in the best interests of her family,” according to a statement Monday from the district’s Board of Education President Gregory Meyer. Riverhead’s school budget was the only one on the East End to fail earlier this month, after a construction bond vote in February was shot down by voters. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Greenport Village is accepting on-line registration for the family movie “Hachi: A Dog’s Tale” at Movie Night at Moore’s Lane on July 1 at 8:30 p.m. There are 120 available spots for the family-friendly movie : Hachi: A Dog’s Tale, at Eventbrite.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:08 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:16 a.m., 5:50 p.m.
Greenport: 6:45 a.m., 7:19 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:37 a.m., 8:05 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:40 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:07 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:14 a.m., 8:48 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:01 a.m., 5:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:10 a.m., 3:55 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:07 a.m., 7:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:15 a.m., 6:43 p.m.
Greenport: 7:44 a.m., 8:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:39 a.m., 9:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:39 a.m., 8:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:06 a.m., 9:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:13 a.m., 9:41 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:05 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:14 a.m., 4:54 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.