This Morning’s Bulletin — 7.11.22
• We’re expecting sunny skies today, with a high temperature near 83 degrees and a light southwest wind becoming south 8 to 13 miles per hour in the morning. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 64. Skies will be mostly sunny on Tuesday, with a high near 85, and Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 89.
• There appears to be an overwhelming reality that the status of our uniquely-American democratic way of doing things is much more fragile than we ever could have imagined. Dave Davis reflects on the state of our union in this month’s Dave’s Desk@Ditch.
• The Fourth Annual Blast for CAST comes to Stirling Square in Greenport this Thursday evening, July 14, from 6 to 9 p.m., raising money for the community support services provided by this organization, ranging from food to job training to help with housing and utility bills. Here’s more info.
• Gene Casey & The Lone Sharks bring their maximum rhythm & twang to Greenport’s Dancing in the Park in Greenport’s Mitchell Park from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. this evening. Admission is free and chairs or blankets are recommended.
• Comedian, storyteller, director, podcaster, producer and actor Mike Birbiglia brings a six-night run of stand-up to Bay Street Theater, 1 Bay Street, Sag Harbor starting this evening. More info is at baystreet.org.
• Suffolk County reported 636 new cases of Covid-19 on Friday, July 8, with 10.5 percent of people tested testing positive. There were 179 people hospitalized with the virus, with 42 percent of them hospitalized due to Covid and 10 of them in ICU. The county reported no new fatalities, and the death toll here stands at 4,489 people since March of 2020.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:08 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:16 a.m., 7:39 p.m.
Greenport: 8:45 a.m., 9:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:45 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:40 a.m., 9:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:07 a.m., 10:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:14 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:15 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:24 a.m., 5:55 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:08 a.m., 8:32 p.m.
Greenport: 9:37 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:42 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:32 a.m., 9:56 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:59 a.m., 11:23 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:06 a.m., 11:30 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:17 a.m., 8:43 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:26 a.m., 6:51 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.