• Showers are likely before 10 a.m. with thunderstorms and more showers possible throughout the day, under cloudy skies, with a high near 80 degrees and a southeast wind around 7 miles per hour. There’s a 40 percent chance of overnight showers and thunderstorms, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 68. Friday will be partly sunny, with a high near 87 and Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 93.
• Sammy the Bald Eagle, who has been a resident at the Quogue Wildlife Refuge since 1988, after a bullet wound led to the amputation of a portion of his right wing, has been stolen. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss a proposed town and county bike share program at its 10 a.m. work session at town hall this morning. The full agenda is online here.
• Today’s Riverhead Town Board work session has been cancelled.
• The second installment of the Riverhead BID’s Alive on 25 street fair will run tonight from 5 to 9:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board has public hearings scheduled for its 6:30 p.m. meeting this evening on changes to the zoning code regarding artist studios and on requiring cover crops on farms. The full agenda is online here.
• Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Josh Haner of The New York Times will be the guest speaker at this evening’s IPC lecture series in conjunction with the National Geographic Photo Ark at the Southampton Arts Center. Tickets are $15. More details are online here.
• Heir to the Frankish throne, the young prince Pippin is in search of the secret to true happiness and fulfillment in this summer’s Youth On Stage performance of the musical “Pippin” at Mattituck’s North Fork Community Theatre, opening tonight and running through Aug. 4. We got a chance at a sneak peek (with photos) earlier this week.
• The “Mike Diveris Battle of Southampton” of the annual Inter-Beach Lifeguard Competition will be held this evening at 6 p.m. at Scott Cameron Beach in Bridgehampton, the first of several tests of speed, skill and endurance between the South Fork’s ocean lifeguards. All are welcome to come and cheer the lifeguards on.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:43 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:51 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
Greenport: 12:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:46 a.m., 1:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:12 a.m., 1:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:19 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:53 a.m., 11:04 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:02 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:28 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:36 a.m., 11:50 p.m.
Greenport: 12:35 a.m., 1:05 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:27 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:30 a.m., 1 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:57 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:04 a.m., 2:34 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:36 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:45 a.m., 9:54 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.